Red River Bridge War Event

This Forum is designed for GCARC Club news, updates, events, repeater status, and business information.
CynthiaK5EKA

Red River Bridge War Event

Post by CynthiaK5EKA »

The history of this event is very interesting. I see the Modes of Operation and Bands of Operation and that the event lasts from July 15th until July 23rd. How do I participate? Thanks in advance (TIA). Cynthia K5EKA
JamesKW5CW
Site Admin

Re: Red River Bridge War Event

Post by JamesKW5CW »

Cynthia,

I hope you received all the information from Lee at the meeting so that you can participate in the Red River Bridge War Special Event.

Just remember to send a log to Lee - N5SLY of all of your contacts. If you send a log made on a computer, it will be a .adi log file. I believe that Lee will also take your paper log if you don't fill out a log on a computer.

Lee is supposed to send you a blank log via email, and then you can send the completed log back to him so that the people that you work will get credit for the contact. Also, it is used to confirm that you worked a specific station, because if these people want a GCARC QSL Card, they most likely will send an S.A.S.E. to get one, and Lee would need to have the Log information at hand to return a card.

By the way, thank you for creating this forum!

73, James - KW5CW
CynthiaK5EKA

Post by CynthiaK5EKA »

Thanks, CW.
Yes, I have the log Lee sent me. Appreciated.
Lee was telling me how he makes contacts-- complete with what he says and all. I should have recorded the conversation. Can that be written out (for my poor old brain)? I'd just like to have a script of some kind and know what to do when I make a contact.
I think he starts with "CQ CQ"
and he used the call sign W5R... then "special event"... etc.
Also -- he said not to use a repeater but to use HF or simplex or 2m. So what does that all mean in actual radio settings?

Remember ... I'm a REAL newbie at all of this. It's like learning a new language and culture.
TIA
Cynthia
JamesKW5CW
Site Admin

Post by JamesKW5CW »

Cynthia,

I haven't been checking the BBS every day, so I apologize for the late response. Regarding your question, you can use a script, but it's not as fun as going out there and trying it yourself. For example, go out with Lee in a POTA activation and see how he does it with POTA or with a special event. It's easiest if someone shows you regardless of the mode you want to use.

The upcoming event in October is a Special event (Eisenhower Birthday Special Event) that you can tag along with someone and see how it's done. Lee will operate for a few days at the birthplace, so will I, and Ricky. You can stop by. We can start publishing our outings here on the BBS and of course on Facebook. It will be the biggest event of the year. We will be providing certificates to everyone who wants one that we work. Together, we will make thousands of contacts. It should be a big money-maker for the club. Regarding working anyone during an event just pick up the microphone and try it yourself. Go out with anyone running SSB or digital and see how it's done. You can do this from home. You really don't need a script because everyone does it differently. With digital, the computer does everything for you. You just might want to learn what the computer is doing as far as the automatic script it sends and when it does it.

Now if you ever wanted instructions on CW, which is the easiest (by the way, just no one knows it), you can come to me. But if CW is not your forte, then no worries. I'm willing to help anyone, using any mode (CW, SSB, Digital). Lee, Ricky, Ralph, and many others in our club can help you on SSB and digital.

If you think you still need something printed out that you could read, then I can do that too, but it really is no fun unless you try to do it in real time during an event without props. You will learn quickly that way and you will never forget how it's done.

If you have any other questions, just send them my way.

James - KW5CW