Tag along...

This Forum is designed for POTA. This includes group activities, best practices, and member experiences.
MichaelKI5ZIQ

Tag along...

Post by MichaelKI5ZIQ »

I have never participated in a POTA activity. Are there opportunities to participate if I only have a Technician class license? Also, is anyone going to a local park in the next few weeks for POTA. I would like to tag along!
JamesKW5CW
Site Admin

Re: Tag along...

Post by JamesKW5CW »

Michael,

There are members of the club that are active in POTA. For me, just yesterday I took along one of the members of the club, Jimmy Patterson, - KC5OLH. He sat next to me at the last meeting. We went out to the Eisenhower State Park, and I helped him activate his first POTA park as an activator. He made a successful activation on FT-8. Obviously, he didn't use CW, but it was fun helping him activate. A successful activation requires that you make at least 10 contacts within a UTC day to get credit for the park.

Someday in the near future if you like, we can go together and activate a park. In matter of fact, I planned on going in the morning. What's your schedule? You can tag along or meet me there?

One other person to go out with that would love to show you the ropes on POTA is Lee - N5SLY. He normally runs POTA from his truck. I like to run an event from a Picnic Table barring the weather, and it's lots of fun!

Some places near you..

Eisenhower Birthplace
Eisenhower State Park
Hagerman Wildlife Refuge

Pick one and I can meet you there and we can activate a park.
leen5sly

Post by leen5sly »

POTA can be enjoyed by all hams. It doesn't matter what license you have. You can do it when you want, as much as you want and can do what you want. The goal is to have fun.

If you would like to join me when I Activate a park, I'll be doing one on Saturday, April 29 from about 9 AM until Noon. I'll be at the place where I'm hiding the Fox for the club. I don't want to give away the exact location on this forum so send me your phone number and I'll get in touch to let you know exactly where I'll be.

Thanks!
MichaelKI5ZIQ

Post by MichaelKI5ZIQ »

Thanks Lee! I will let you know about that. Tamara and I might participate in the hunt, but I will let you know. I will send you my phone number anyway in a message.
CynthiaK5EKA

Post by CynthiaK5EKA »

I'm also interested in tagging along with one of you. I hope you'll be posting upcoming Park visits here since these posts are from back in April. (How did that work? I thought this BB was brand new in July.)
JamesKW5CW
Site Admin

Post by JamesKW5CW »

Cynthia,

The offer still stands if you would like to tag along for a CW POTA activation. You have expressed interest in CW, and running POTA CW is a fun way to get your feet wet. For anyone who reads this, the offer stands for you too.

Just give me a call or send an email, or update this 'Tag Along' thread and we can do an activation together sometime. Also, if you haven't done a SSB POTA activation, we can do that together too. The same with digital.

73, James KW5CW
CynthiaK5EKA

Post by CynthiaK5EKA »

Let's do this.
Next week Wed, Thurs or Fri would be good for me. (Aug 23, 24, 25)
Other days, too, depending on the time frame.
Early is better -- due to the heat.
Lynda wants to go, too, if we can coordinate it.
Cynthia K5EKA
JamesKW5CW
Site Admin

Post by JamesKW5CW »

Hello Cynthia,

Great! I'm up for it, but I'm still have an issue with my car. My wife is using the only working vehicle for work. I'm hoping to know by tomorrow if I can go out and do an activation. Thank you so much for wanting to do this. Let's try this Friday the 25th. Will that work for you? It's nice to see that Lynda wants to go too. I will be talking to her tomorrow morning.

James - KW5CW
JamesKW5CW
Site Admin

Post by JamesKW5CW »

Cynthia,

I had a conversation with Lynda Tuma - KF5JUO this morning. She thinks it's just a little hot for her to go out to do a POTA activation this week. Also, I may not have a vehicle to drive until Saturday. So, I would like nothing more than to show you the ropes regarding POTA, but it may be a few more days before I have a car. But as soon as I have a vehicle, I'll contact you to see what your schedule may be.

What are your ideas?

Let's keep in touch!

73, James - KW5CW
CynthiaK5EKA

Post by CynthiaK5EKA »

Sounds good. Anytime next week or the next should work for me.
Thanks,
Cynthia